The top 10 of the 50-strong World’s Most Admired Wines list comprised:
- Concha y Toro
- Jacob’s Creek
- Cloudy Bay
- Chateau Lafite
- Vega Sicilia
- Marqués de Riscal
- Château Latour
DI’s Supplement editor Graham Holter said, “Drinks International’s Most Admired Wine Brands project was conceived as an opportunity to salute the producers whose products have done the most to put regions on the map, to popularise wine-drinking and to spread best practice throughout the industry”.
“We feel this is the most thorough and democratic exercise of its kind and a fascinating glimpse into the way the international wine industry regards its leading producers.”
The industry poll asked the judges to choose up to five wine brands – with which they had no association – using the following criteria:
– Wines should be of consistent or improving quality
– They should reflect their region or country of origin
– They should respond to the needs and tastes of their target audience
– They should be well-marketed and packaged
– They should have strong appeal to a wide demographic.