Tune into the benefits of music

Just like any other input to your business, the use of music has to be paid for.

When you use copyright music in your business you must first obtain permission from the copyright owners to do so. You do this by obtaining and paying for a Dual Music Licence.

“It’s a legal requirement,” stresses Brendan Griffin, Director of Licensing at IMRO, “If you perform copyrighted music in public and that copyrighted music is within IMRO’s repertoire, you need a licence from the copyright owner to perform that music.”

IMRO exists to help businesses and community groups legally access music in a cost-effective and efficient manner while making sure that songwriters, composers, music publishers and record producers are rewarded for public use of their music. IMRO’s function is to collect and distribute royalties arising from the public performance of copyright music.

A Dual Music Licence from IMRO gives you access to a vast repertoire of music that you can use to transform and add value to your business.

“There’s no doubt that music brings value to the owner of the premises,” Brendan Griffin emphasises, “If it brings value, there’s a value to it – and that’s why we represent songwriters in a fair, transparent and reasonably priced manner. Have a look at the voxpops on our website at and hear how some of our customers use music to help them drive their business.”

Those businesses approaching IMRO to avail of a Dual Music Licence in advance of using music in their premises can avail of discount on their first year licence fee. Full details on this discount are available at

If you have any query please contact the IMRO Licensing Department at 01 661 4844, e-mail or visit


Sign Up for Drinks Industry Ireland

Get a free weekly update on Drinks Industry trade news, direct to your inbox. Sign up now, it's free