Following Oisin Kelly’s win last year, Michal’s 2020 win represents the second consecutive year that a bartender from the Sidecar has won the top award at the Bartenders Association of Ireland-organised National Cocktail Championship & Bartender Awards.
Michal’s winning cocktail, ‘Summer Classico 2020’, was made with Belvedere Vodka, St Germain Elderflower Liqueur, Reàl Passionfruit Syrup, San Pellegrino Ginger Beer, Fresh Lemon Juice and Fresh Lemongrass.
Michal competed against 32 other bartenders from around the country to represent Ireland at the World Cocktail Championship to be held in St Petersburgh, Russia, this Autumn.
The World Cocktail Championship is the biggest cocktail competition on the planet with more than 60 countries competing. It’s organised by the International Bartenders Association comprising national bartender associations from all over the globe.
Michal was presented with his award by John Cassidy, Commercial Director, Edward Dillon & Co and BAI President Declan Byrne.
Bartender Award Winners
- National Cocktail Champion & Best Hotel Bartender Award – Michal Lis, Sidecar, Westbury Hotel, Dublin.
- Best Pub Bartender – Paul Borowski, Shaky Bills, Dundalk, Louth.
- Best Restauant Bartender – Daniel Wieliczko, Prada, Contarf, Dublin.
- Best Hospitality Student – Joseph Newman, Athlone Institute of Technology.
- Best Newcomer (Senior) – Jean Karatouliotios, Clancy’s Bar, Cork.
- Best Newcomer (Junior) – Jingwen Ouyang, Shannon College of Hotel Management, Clare.
- Best Named Cocktail – ‘Whispering Garden’ – Daniel Wieliczko, Prada, Contarf, Dublin.
- Art Deco (Cocktail Decoration) – Skirmantas Lelys, Eden One, Ballsbridge, Dublin.
Special Award to Oisin Kelly
A special presentation was made to Oisin Kelly at the event in recognition of his Gold Medal for Ireland at the World Cocktail Championship 2019 held in Chengdu, China, last November.
Oisin won two awards – the second award was for ‘Young Bartender of the Year 2019’, the first bartender from Ireland to receive this award.