The jury – made up of more than 200 of the world’s top masters of wine, sommeliers, educators and journalists – awarded Torres top ranking among more than 50 global brands.
Prior to last year’s similarly top placing Bodegas Torres had held second place for the three years previously and is the only Spanish and European winery to have obtained this distinction.
In this year’s ranking, Torres was followed by another Spanish winery Vega Sicilia, Penfolds from Australia, Villa Maria from New Zealand and in fifth place, Chateau d’Yquem from France.
The ranking was established on the following criteria:
- consistent or improving quality
- reflects its region or country of origin
- responds to the needs and tastes of its target audience
- well-marketed and packaged
- strong appeal to a wide demographic.