The awards – now in their fifth year – are made for a film and multimedia competition for third-level students, organised by drinkaware.ie in association with the Digital Hub Development Agency. This year, the competition challenged students to explore the theme of ‘drinking in a home environment’.
Students nominated for awards rubbed shoulders with well-known personalities from the worlds of film, TV and multimedia at the ceremony. Special guests included the founder and organiser of the Dublin Web Summit Paddy Cosgrave; award-winning TV director David Kerr; RTÉ and Lyric FM presenter John Kelly; Sales Manager for YouTube in Ireland David Graham; Caroline Twohig, presenter of ‘FYI’ on 3e; Head of Digital with Mindshare Ciarán Norris; RTÉ 2 presenter Stephen Byrne and Community Manager for WorldIrish.com, Darragh Doyle.
Following the awards ceremony drinkaware.ie Chief Executive Fionnuala Sheehan explained that ‘drinking in a home environment’ had been chosen as this year’s theme as it really resonated with students and offered them plenty of scope to be innovative and creative.
“We are used to seeing alcohol awareness campaigns that revolve around goings-on in pubs or nightclubs,” she said, “But home drinking now constitutes more than 50 per cent of alcohol consumption in Ireland – up from 30 per cent a few years ago – so it’s important to address this phenomenon too.
“Students, who are usually living off limited budgets, have always had a tendency to favour home drinking or to combine having a few drinks at home with a night out in the pub. They consider it cheaper to drink at home than to drink in a bar.
“So we felt the theme of ‘drinking in a home environment’ would offer students plenty of scope to produce fresh, imaginative film and multimedia entries, and we were proven right.”
The awards ceremony took place in Dublin’s Wood Quay Venue. Seven prizes were awarded including three runners-up awards in the multimedia category which was deemed too close to call. The prizewinners were:
1. People’s Choice – Film Category: ‘Pre Drink? Precaution’ produced by ‘Shifts’ whose members comprise students from UCD, DCU and St Patrick’s College, Drumcondra(chosen by an online public vote). Awarded €500.
1. People’s Choice – Multimedia Category: ‘How Drunk are You?’ produced by the Flamboyantnunchucks from Limerick Institute of Technology (chosen by an online public vote). Awarded €500.
3. Joint Winners in the Multimedia Category: ‘Booze Tracker’ produced by Paul Murphy from Limerick
Institute of Technology (Clonmel campus). Awarded €500.
‘How Drunk are You?’ produced by the Flamboyantnunchucks from Limerick Institute of Technology. Awarded €500.
‘Home Party Quiz’ produced by Paul Farnan from Cavan Institute. Awarded €500.
4. Runner-Up Film: ‘Behind Closed Doors’ by Philip Blake from IADT Dun Laoghaire. Awarded €500.
5. Best Overall Film: ‘The House Party’ by Streal Productions from Limerick Institute of Technology. Awarded €1,000.
Winning and nominated films and multimedia projects from this year’s competition can be viewed at www.DARE2BDRINKAWARE.ie.