The awards, of which Drinks Industry Ireland is media partner, are now in their sixth year and span over 20 categories including a newly-named ‘New Irish Whiskey Award’.
Only distilleries open from three to eight years can enter this category with a whiskey distilled on-site.
The whiskey with the highest overall score in the competition becomes Irish Whiskey of the Year and the bar with the most votes becomes Irish Whiskey Bar of the Year.
Last year’s Awards saw Teeling Revival IV win the Irish Whiskey of the Year award while Garavan’s in Galway won Irish Whiskey Bar of the Year.
Judging of the awards by members of the Celtic Whiskey Club, Irish Whiskey Society and Cork Whiskey Society, is currently taking place.
This year also welcomes the participation of the Galway Whiskey Trail and Kilkenny Whiskey Guild. Members of the trade will be responsible for judging the white spirit categories as well as the whiskey barrel-aged beers and liqueurs taking place at separate tasting sessions this September.
The event has been created by The Celtic Whiskey Shop which is also behind Whiskey Live Dublin and Gin Experience Dublin.
“The Irish Whiskey Awards recognise both the emerging and established producers in the industry” said owner Ally Alpine, “and we’re delighted that it has become such an important date in the Irish events calendar.”
A tour of the Slane distillery will commence at 4.45pm on 18th October, followed by a drinks reception and the awards ceremony in Slane Castle itself at 7.30pm. Tickets, including transport, will be available on October 1st from the Celtic Whiskey Shop on Dawson Street, Dublin 2. All proceeds will go to charity partner Mary’s Meals to help feed children in impoverished areas of the world.
The categories are as follows;
- Irish Single Pot Still Whiskey
- Irish Single Malt Whiskey (12 Years & Younger)
- Irish Single Malt Whiskey (13 Years & Older)
- Irish Blended Whiskey (RRP of less than €60)
- Irish Blended Whiskey (RRP of €60 or more)
- Irish Single Cask Whiskey
- Irish Cask Strength Whiskey
- Irish Single Grain Whiskey
- New Irish Whiskey Award
- Irish Whiskey Bar of the Year (Leinster)
- Irish Whiskey Bar of the Year (Munster)
- Irish Whiskey Bar of the Year (Connaught)
- Irish Whiskey Bar of the Year (Ulster)
- Irish Whiskey Bar of the Year (International)
- Irish Poitin
- Irish Liqueur
- Irish Gin
- Irish Vodka
- Irish Whiskey Barrel Aged Craft Beer.
If you would like more information about this event, please call Head of Marketing, Julie Christie on +353 89 492 9989, or e-mail email@example.com.