Dingle setting for Irish Whiskey Awards
Entries are now being accepted for this year’s Irish Whiskey Awards which take place at the Dingle Distillery, County Kerry, on Thursday 17thOctober.
19 June 2019 | 0
The awards, now in their seventh year, span over 19 categories.
The bar with the most votes will become the Irish Whiskey Bar of the Year while the whiskey with the highest overall score will become Irish Whiskey of the Year.
Awards judging takes place in July and August by members of the Celtic Whiskey Club, Irish Whiskey Society – Dublin and Dingle, Cork Whiskey Society, Waterford Whiskey Society, Belfast Whiskey Club and Kilkenny Whiskey Guild.
Members of the trade will be responsible for judging the white spirit categories as well as the whiskey barrel-aged beers and liqueurs which take place at separate tasting sessions in August.
The event has been created by Celtic Whiskey Shop which also organises Whiskey Live Dublin and Gin Experience Dublin.
“The Irish Whiskey Awards recognise both the emerging and established producers in the industry and we’re delighted that it has become such an important date in the Irish events calendar,” said Celtic Whiskey Shop proprietor Ally Alpine.
The Awards evening commences with a tour of Dingle Distillery followed by a drinks reception and the awards ceremony itself in the warehouse there.
The categories are as follows:
- Irish Single Pot Still Whiskey
- Irish Single Malt Whiskey (12 Years & Younger)
- Irish Single Malt Whiskey (13 Years & Older)
- Irish Blended Whiskey (RRP of less than €60)
- Irish Blended Whiskey (RRP of €60 or more)
- Irish Single Cask Whiskey
- Irish Cask Strength Whiskey
- Irish Single Grain Whiskey
- New Irish Whiskey Award (only distilleries open 3-8 years can enter and it must be distilled on site)
- Irish Whiskey Bar of the Year (Leinster)
- Irish Whiskey Bar of the Year (Munster)
- Irish Whiskey Bar of the Year (Connacht)
- Irish Whiskey Bar of the Year (Ulster)
- Irish Whiskey Bar of the Year (International)
- Irish Poitin
- Irish Liqueur
- Irish Gin
- Irish Vodka
- Irish Whiskey Barrel Aged Craft Beer
Last year’s awards saw Dick Mack’s in Dingle win the overall Irish Whiskey Bar of the Year Award while Redbreast 12 Year-Old Cask Strength won the Irish Whiskey of the Year Award.
Tickets, including transport from Killarney and from the distillery to the awards will be available on September 16th from the Celtic Whiskey Shop on Dawson Street, Dublin 2.
Drinks Industry Ireland is media partner to the Awards and all proceeds go to the Awards’ charity partner Mary’s Meals to help feed children in impoverished areas of the world.
The closing date for all entries is Monday 24thJune.
For details on how to enter please visit www.irishwhiskeyawards.com