Alan Glynn wins Shortcross Signature Serve
Alan Glynn from 37 Dawson Street in Dublin has been crowned the 2017 Shortcross Gin Signature Serve winner with his ‘CrossClub’ creation at the second-ever Shortcross Gin Signature Serve competition.
6 July 2017 | 0
Alan wanted to create a serve that not only complemented and highlighted the flavours of Shortcross Gin, but was easily replicated at home for aficionados across the country.
This was a competition like no other, as the lucky winner takes home a once-in-a-lifetime prize – creating their very own gin alongside head Shortcross Distiller David Boyd-Armstrong.
Since the launch of locally-made Shortcross Gin in 2014, bartenders and mixologists across Ireland have served up everything from the classic Shortcross G&T over ice with premium tonic and a spiral of orange peel to new creations using pink grapefruit and fresh basil.
Hundreds of entries were whittled down to 22 finalists who descended onto Rademon Estate to showcase their very own signature serve for the judges: Head Distiller at Shortcross Gin David Boyd-Armstrong, Paula Stakelum, Executive Head Pastry chef at Ashford Castle and Olivier Ward from Gin Foundry and Channel 4’s Sunday Brunch.
Founded in 2012 by husband and wife team Fiona and David Boyd-Armstrong, Shortcross Gin is the first spirit to be launched by Rademon Estate Distillery – Northern Ireland’s first and only craft distillery located at the couple’s historic family estate just outside Downpatrick, Co Down.
It’s the most-awarded gin on the Island of Ireland including a Gold medal at the recent San Francisco World Spirits Competition from 2,100 entries.
Alan will return to the distillery later this Summer to start work on his prize.
The full list of finalists:
- Sarah Harrison – Neill’s Hill
- David Long – Shu
- Dave Rowan – The Ivory
- Sean Whelan – Drury Buildings
- Simone Cardillo – The Marcus Ward
- Michael Kinder – Horatio Todd’s
- Simon O’Connor – House
- Ciaran McKenna – Apartment
- Eszter Thomka – Camden Exchange
- Lukasz Dojlidko – Dylan Hotel
- Jefferson Inglanilla – Cyprus Avenue
- Graham Moore – The Old Schoolhouse
- Alan Glynn – 37 Dawson Street
- Robert Manley – The Anchor
- Paula Fitzgerald – Hotel Meryick
- David Richard Coe – Davy Mac’s
- Conor Smith – Bullitt Hotel
- Dom Armstrong – Town Square
- Ilario Alberto Capraro – Waterford Castle
- Jack Henry – Tribeton
- Adam Duff – Tipsy Bird
- Pat Thomas – Zozimus